Have you ever met people who don't contribute much to assigned group tasks? It's just so, so annoying when you're the one doing everything, putting in all the effort. What makes things worse? Unappreciative people. That's the worst of the worst. If you're already affected by the first 5 sentences, I suggest you to just exit this page because this post's probably ain't for you.
No doubt at times, I'm really annoyed. Just FYI, I'm just talking about all the group work I've done so far for the entire 17 years of my life; I have no intention of arrowing this blog post to anyone. If you're affected by this post, it just means that you're probably the slacker in your group. That is my assumption though. No offence.
I do express my annoyance at times, when I'm really extremely annoyed or when people just get past my line. But I rarely or never, if circumstances allow, complain to relevant authorities which in this case, refer to the teachers. Well, true that the more things I do, the more taxing it's gonna be on me, be it physically, mentally or whatsoever. But in the end, it's gonna benefit me anyway. It's true that results matter, but results is one thing; process is yet another. Yes, you get the easy way out now, but it's not gonna benefit you in the long run. In fact, you'll suffer in the long run. Because you don't even know what the taste of success is like. You know the AFTER TASTE, not the taste of the process. You won't know what hardship is all about; all the struggles and shit. You don't grow. You don't understand failure. You'll remain stagnant and eventually, you'll just get disqualified by the society. So if you think you're enjoying success, think again. You probably just got yourself into deep shit.
A wise man once said "No pain, no gain.". How true. An individual who doesn't know the pain of achieving success, will never taste the true sweetness of success. Because no blood, sweat and tears of that individual is involved in any way. Simply said, he just can't enjoy success as much as one who puts in effort.
I've always believed that people who put in effort will prevail over those who don't. Those who put in the effort will eventually get somewhere; it's just a matter of time. So if you're putting in effort and feel like you're going nowhere, don't ever give up. You'll find people who appreciate you and you'll eventually get somewhere. You might be just wondering now but hey, not all who wanders are lost.
Well, all that I've shared above are just based on some of my personal experiences. You might be thinking: so how do you handle slackers in the group? Well, it's simple. (DISCLAIMER: these tips might or might not work for you because it's based on my personal experiences so follow at your own risk!)
1) Keep a cool head- you wouldn't want everything to get to your head because the next thing you know, you'll just blow up and everything will become a mess. Our objective now is to solve the problem with minimal casualties; not create more problems and even more casualties.
2) BREATHE! - Chill man. Breathe and let the blood flow to your brain so you'll have clearer thoughts.
3) Think before you speak! - You wouldn't want to just blurt everything out at that person/ group of people. Tackle problems with an objective in mind: what is it that you want out of this confrontation? Hedge your words. You wouldn't want to appear too offensive. Do not forget that you probably have to do group work with that very same person or group of people again in the future. Try to minimise hurt to the relationship!
4) Talk it out - reason out (in a nice way of course) with the person or people involved. Just let loose a little and speak in a way you'll speak to your friends when you're asking for an advice or talking about a problem you're facing. Try to not be too harsh though.
If nothing works then I guess you can either:
1) Ignore the person or group of people and just do without them; they're gonna lose out anyway. Yes it may be taxing on you but if you survive it, you'll emerge stronger and better.
2) Tell a trusted friend. It always works. Friends are the best supporters.
So yeah just some tips. Hope it'll help! Have a great day folks and I'll see you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment